Knit & Crochet Blog Week: Day 1


Today's post starts the week long Knit & Crochet Blog Week challenge, thought up and organized by Eskimimi Knits.  Join me all week as I attempt to complete each day's post goals! 

Today's Topic: 
Starting Out

How and when did you begin knitting/crocheting? Was it a skill passed down through generations of your family, or something you learned from Knitting For Dummies? What or who made you pick up the needles/hook for the first time? Was it the celebrity knitting ‘trend’ or your great aunt Hilda?

I started knitting out of pure dumb luck.  A couple years ago (Spring/Summer of 2007) I found out a fellow co-worker had picked up knitting.  As a bunch of scientists, I had to pick on her and poke fun at her new hobby because what female in science would knit?!  I told the girls in the lab next door - only to find out one was also a knit-a-holic!  And the other had been given knitting lessons as a Holiday gift.  I found all of this odd -- because, well it's knitting.  And who the hell knits?!  Especially neuroscientists?!?  

And then I tried it.  

And that's all I can say.  MM and MH you can now pick on me for picking on you.  :) 

And how did I actually learn?  Well I couldn't go to these ladies, because that would show how lame I was for picking up knitting.  So I did what any other Gen-X'er would do.  I looked up on YouTube and the Internez.  Yep.  I learned how to knit from YouTube, the internet and from DVR'ing Knitty Gritty.  Come to think of it, even now, if I have issues with a technique or stitch I use Google or YouTube.  Can you tell I'm an informatician in training?!  :) 

So that's my story.  How did you learn?  

Comments

Jackie said…
Mom taught me to knit and crocheting came via Internet.

We are running a free random draw for a knitting or crochet book. No purchase necessary.
All you have to do is add yourself as a fan or press the "like" button on our Facebook page.
The draw will take place on Mother’s Day May 9th. No country restrictions.

For details and to see the books, please see
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Karp-Styles-Crochet-and-Knitting/208766713593