Homemade Body Spray

I have a difficult time finding bodyspray/perfume.  Most perfumes just smell too cosmetic/synthetic to me. Which is funny because I usually like how perfume or body spray smells on others, but I have a difficult time finding something that smells nice on me.

After a long search I found Avalon Organics Deodorant Spray.  These are all natural deodorant sprays that use essential oils and give a nice, light, natural fragrance.  They also claim to kill odor-causing bacteria (apparently essential oils kill bacteria -- I need to see the science behind these claims... but I digress).  I have this obsession with rosemary - I have a mini rosemary tree, I use rosemary shampoo and conditioner and then I found the Avalon Organics Rosemary D/O Spray - I fell in love.  I didn't use it as a deodorant but just as my body spray or as an afternoon pick-me-up.
Avalon Organics Deodorant Spray

So I've been using the rosemary scent for a couple years now and after searching for weeks for a replacement I have come to find out that they have discontinued the product.  Travesty I know (yes a first-world problem here).

After searching for a replacement product turned up nothing I have decided to make my own.  Because it's really just the rosemary scent that I love I decided that it really shouldn't be too difficult to make my own body spray.  After searching the interwebz for ideas on how to do this I combined various methods and have my own recipe.  Because it was relatively simple I thought I'd share it with all of you.

Homemade Body Spray
2.5 oz distilled H2O
1.0 oz witch hazel (apparently you could use vodka, perfumer's alcohol, etc).
0.5 oz Polysorbate 20 (also called Tween 20 for you science peeps - this is the emulsifier)
0.5-1 tsp. fragrance oil or essential oil (I used rosemary essential oil and a couple drops of peppermint essential oil)
0.5 tsp liquid glycerin

Combine all ingredients into a spray bottle - top off with additional dH2O if needed.  I used my empty Avalon Organics Deodorant Spray bottle (a 4.0 oz bottle).  I figured it's already labeled and a great way to reuse something rather than throwing it out.  Side note: I'm so used to using milliliters but everything on the internet shows ounces - so I complied and found an oz measuring cup.  Very odd this measurement of volume/weight... the ounce.  Someday we'll convert to the much easier metric system... but again... I digress with a rant!

I'm pretty happy with the results.  It smells like me -- which is a bonus.  But really you can use this recipe to make room sprays -- I'm thinking of making another scent for the bedroom - maybe a nice relaxing lavender scent.  Hmmm... that sounds really nice - I think I'm going to go make that right now!

Enjoy!

Comments

lunaticraft said…
<3 Metric system. It makes so much more sense.

Also, such a good idea, and I'm glad it turned out well. I'm in a similar situation with my scent. I use the Bath and Body Works aromatherapy Orange Ginger EVERYTHING and have since I discovered it in a hotel during my college search, but they seem to be phasing it out slowly but surely. I will absolutely be bookmarking this for future use.
This is the right blog for anyone who wants to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you. You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!