Convertible Mitts




 Convertible or Texting Mittens!
Pattern: Heavily modified from a number of mitten & fingerless glove patterns
Yarn: Berroco Jasper Sport (100% Merino Wool)
Started: November 18, 2011
Finished: December 13, 2011


Yep, convertible!  I wanted a pair of mittens because I find mittens keep my hands much warmer than gloves.  However... I play with my smart phone too much.  And now that I stand at the bus stop or metro station I get bored and play with the phone.  So I thought making a pair of convertible mitts would be perfect.  

 And they are perfect!

 Perfect colors for me (red, black and grey).  Oh so soft (100% merino wool). Warm and functional!

I've been wearing the mittens for about a month now and I can tell they are starting to pill and felt a little.  I actually don't find felting... they will keep me even warmer.  But the pilling?  Hmmm... but still I love these mittens and wear them almost every day.  They might only last this one winter season... only time will tell.  The yarn is soft but might not have been made for such wear n' tear like mittens.  Oh well, like I said, I love these mittens.

Comments

lunaticraft said…
They look cozy! As for the pilling, maybe try shaving them? It sounds absurd and scary, but apparently it works really well. Here's an example. I haven't tried it yet myself, but I've got a couple sweaters put aside for the treatment. I'll let you know how it goes.
Lupie said…
The mitts look great. I love making gloves and have made a few of this kind. Too bad about the yarn because it looks so pretty.
Sigrun said…
I made one pair once, but they were frustrating, always open in the palm. Maybe I made them too loose. Are yours snug and stay closed? It sounds like they're working for you, so is there anything special I need to know to try again?
Unknown said…
Hey Sigrun... Yeah I was worried about that as well. But because the fingerless portion goes up so high (around each finger) I haven't had any issues with the mitts staying put. I did do a 2x2 ribbing for a few rows to help keep the mitt snug... maybe that will help?
Amanda said…
Great mittens. Looks like the sort of thing I need when I go birdwatching in winter.
Sigrun said…
Responding to your comments on my blog--thank you for the condolences. I'm so happy to hear from you--keep watching here for signs of life.