Last Minute Indiana Trips - 5

The SO and I took a trip to DePauw University, his undergrad and where he proposed to me.  Mainly I think he wanted to eat a GCB (the famous garlic cheese burger from Marvins), but we'll just pretend that he wanted to visit the magical spot one more time before we left Indiana.  


So this was the spot.  Right in between these two trees where I had originally asked him if we were official (okay I said a couple of explicit words and was a little rude about it).  And then 2.5 years later he took me to the same spot and proposed.  And today we walked by, holding hands and had a laugh.  The SO made comments that maybe there was a black hole in this spot where the universe sucked all rational thoughts out of your head, and as we stood there we were shocked at the heat and burning beam of light that reflected off the windows of the academic building across the street!  It was actually pretty hilarious.  Nevertheless, we took a moment to enjoy the memories and reminisce over some of our times here in Indiana.     
I'll be the first to admit that I've wanted to leave the state from the moment I moved here.  And between ending a phd program, having cancer (three times), losing two grandparents and being too far away from my family, I've had some rough times in this state.  However.... I've also found the love of my life and a best friend.  I've gained some life-long friends, colleagues and mentors.  I finished another masters program, gained tremendous amounts of research experience and I have found a profession that I am so excited to begin.  I've gained so many experiences and acquaintances that would have only happened if I came here.  And I would never ever change any aspect of what I've learned and experienced these past six years.  Am I looking forward to moving?  Of course!  It's the next chapter in my life... in our lives!  But I'm surprised and a little emotional because I now realize that I will miss this place... the people that I've met here have made such an impact on me.  So as this blog post goes up the SO and I are starting on our drive to Maryland to start the next chapter.  With us, I plan on taking all the memories of Indiana and cannot wait to share with all of you the next stage of our lives!   
 To the Indiana peeps... I heart you!  Thank you for the amazing times!

Comments

lunaticraft said…
What a sweet trip to end on. Good luck with the move, and here's to the next chapter!
Knitter Mama said…
Lovely story of your engagement. Moving is always tough, but like you said, you are starting a new chapter in your lives. Good luck!
kathy b said…
Great image of you two.....
Indiana will always be there.... I know it!