Brioche Knits

More Doubled fabrics!

I have been all about double knitting lately and these projects are no different. I fell for brioche knitting and with all the hoopla as of late, it looks like many others out there have as well!


So what is brioche knitting? Brioche knits are sort of similar to the brioche bread that you are familiar with. Similar to the bread, the knitted fabric is a bulky, lofty, and ridged fabric that looks like stitches sitting on top of one another. The fabric creates lovely pronounced columns where the knit stitches litterly pop off and appear to float above other stitches. The fisherman's rib produces a similar final outcome but the method by which one gets to the result is different. In brioche knitting you slip one and create a yarn over. On the next row the slipped stitch is worked with the yarn over. In the fisherman's rib you knit through the stitch below, essentially creating that yarnover as you knit.

Either way, the brioche knit and look is in right now. Nancy Marchant is famous in the brioche knits world, just published a new book: Knitting Fresh Brioche: Creating Two-Color Twists & Turns. Knitting Daily sent out a number of brioche-related stories lately. And I saw brioche patterns and spotlights in a number of knitting magazines this winter.

So why not jump on the brioche bandwagon?!

I will be teaching a Brioche Cowl class at WoolWinders Yarn shop this weekend. I think it's actually sold out. But good news... it'll be offered again in the spring so stay tuned for the dates and times.

What cowl will I be teaching? Well I'm glad you asked. I'll be teaching two of my own pattern designs!

The first is the Twisted Brioche Cowl.


Available for free from Ravelry
Needles:  US size 10 (6.0 mm)

The second project is called Button It Brioche Cowl.


Pattern available for $2.00 on Raverly
Needles: US Size 10 (6.0 mm)


Both patterns are available here on my website, under the tab: Designs http://www.drchopsueyknits.com/p/drchopsuey-knits-designs.html). Both links will kick you over to the DrChopSuey Knits page on Ravelry where you can download the patterns. 

Both projects are fun and relatively quick knits (once you learn how to do the brioche stitch). The reason the one pattern is paid for... I had to do some math.  :)   

If you try out my patterns please link to it on Ravelry and let me know if you find any issues so I can quickly fix and post errata. Enjoy and stay warm! 

Comments