Holiday Knits

I didn't do many holiday knits this year.  The last post described my little football heads, and this post has some lacy goodness.

For my mom and brother's girlfriend I decided to knit the Traveling Woman Shawl:




Pattern: Traveling Woman by Liz Abinante
Yarn: String Theory Hand Dyed Yarn Caper Sock, in Jett (2 skeins - 1 for each shawl)
Shawl 1: Nov 17th - Nov 26th, 2013
Shawl 2: Nov 29th - Dec 6th, 2013

If you're thinking this pattern looks familiar, you are correct.  I've knit two of these previously - once for myself: http://drchopsuey.blogspot.com/2009/10/my-traveling-woman.html and another time as a gift.  

This is my go-to shawl for gifting.  I love the pattern, and it's really simple to knit.   


This was the first time I used my new blocking mats and wires.  What a treat!  No more wet knitting pinned and drying on bedroom floors!



The only difference in the two shawls was how I blocked.  One I left with three straight edges, the other I blocked with scalloped points.  Another cute thing about this pattern is the ability to have it either way.  I figured mom and Sandy could then distinguish their shawls from one another.

The other item I knitting for holiday gifting was lacy scarf for my mother-in-law.


Pattern: Wellengang / Swell by Christiane Stemberg
Needles: Size 6
Started: Sunday, December 8, 2013
Finished: Sunday, December 22, 2013

Cute and easy pattern that knit up in a flash.  I would have liked a fancier lace stitch but to be completely honest I don't know if the mother-in-law will like it.  So rather than spending too much time on a fancy pattern I thought I'd test the waters with her and go with a simple lace scarf this year.

I really like this yarn. Like, really - really, like this yarn.  The only complaint was that I found one knot (out of three skeins):

I probably shouldn't really complain about it... but at $29 a pop I'd like to just voice my displeasure.  Luckily this yarn has enough wool (80% Merino, 10% Cashmere, 10% Nylon) that I could split-splice and didn't have a random area of needing to weave in.

All in all, a successful holiday knit season!

Comments

Maggie said…
Lovely! I love the Travelling woman pattern. I've made several of them as well. It's just such an enjoyable knit, and so versatile! Love the lace scarf as well.