Yes the SO and I took the plunge!

Last blog post I might have quickly mentioned the SO and I decided to get married.

Well we did!

We both will be graduating in May and we are hoping to find joint faculty positions at a college or university.  So in order to get a spousal package deal we needed to get married.  Because we've been dating for ever and because we have been having anxiety over meshing the two families (our families are VERY different), we decided to elope!  Well, kinda, sorta, elope.  It wasn't really eloping because everyone knew about it.  We approached both families and explained our situation.  And we told all of our peeps.  The only part that was eloping was the fact that the SO and I flew out to the Oregon Coast and got married by ourselves.  We contacted a reverend and a photographer and met everyone at Ecola State Park and did our ceremony!

This happened in November.  We decided on our 5 year anniversary - November 12th.  November in Oregon is cold.  November in Oregon is rainy season.  Guess what... we TOTALLY lucked out!  The day was absolutely gorgeous and sunny.  It wasn't too chilly.  Thank goodness as I was in a strappy dress, on a cliff, overlooking the ocean!

We did have a photographer.  I still don't own the digital pictures, however I have a link to the photographer's website:  http://prints.sarahmcallisterphotography.com/g/suzy__ryan  If you are out in Oregon and need a photographer please contact Sarah McAllister.  This young lady is amazing!  She is artistic and professional.  Her photos explain everything.

And if you need a Reverend out in Oregon, please contact Reverend Tim Barnhart.  He was a pleasure to have residing over our nuptials.  He let us write out whole ceremony and our own vows.  Actually, the SO wrote our whole ceremony!  Reverend Barnhart also brought his two dear friends who have been married for over 50 years to witness our wedding.

Of course our wedding day had to have some drama.  So we started our ceremony in Ecola State Park and overlooked the ocean.  Afterwards we walked around the park and took pictures in the woods and such.  Next the Sarah, the SO and I went down to Cannon Beach to take some more beach pictures next to the water.  I had this brilliant idea to visit Peter Iredale, a shipwreck from 1906.  I thought it would make as a cool backdrop for some pictures.  And I wanted to wreck the dress.  However this shipwreck is 20 minutes north of Cannon Beach so the photographer jumped in her car and we jumped into our little rental car (a Prius) and followed her north.  After a couple of twists and turns we found ourselves driving on the beach... well in the sand dunes.  And do you know what... yep... our little Prius got stuck.  Without hesitation I told the SO to put it into neutral and I jumped out (wedding dress and all) and started to push the car out.  I was afraid that if we let it sit too long it would start to sink and then we'd be screwed.  Sarah quickly came over and helped push it out.  By the end we were all laughing because seriously who pushes a car out of the sand dunes in her wedding dress?  I DO!

Other than that it was a fabulous day.  Actually getting the car stuck just makes for an even better story!  We have a video of the event but I have yet to edit it.  But I hope you enjoy the pictures... the SO and I are so happy we had our little non-traditional wedding this way... the whole event was just so... us!  :)  

Comments

Kristin said…
Yes, getting your car stuck in a sand dune always makes for a good story after the fact. Ask me how I know that.
Lupie said…
So great!!!! I am so happy for both of you.
The pictures are amazing and you look beautiful.
I wish you both many happy and healthy years together!
lunaticraft said…
OMG CONGRATS!!! =D Here's to many healthy and happy years, and some super awesomepants spousal faculty deals!