Greencastle Fiber Event

This past Saturday I traveled to Greencastle to attend The Fiber Event. This was my first fiber festival of any kind and it was exciting!

Greencastle is a small little podunk-town in Indiana. I didn't think I'd be able to find it, but come to find out, it is the town where the SO spent four years attending undergrad, Depauw University. Therefore, the SO was lucky as I dragged him to the fiber festival. He was a good sport though.... but I really need to find a fiber buddy! :)

So yes, first time attending one of these types of things. And I have to say, even though this one was small, I was still overwhelmed! There was so much yarn! And man, the rovings! So much fiber from so many local (from around Indiana and the midwest region) farms, artists and shops. It was so cool! The SO was a little embarrassed of me running around squishing and feeling all of the yarn. And the whole taking pictures things, wheww! He would have crawled under the closest rock and hid there all day. But I did manage to snap a few quick pics of some of the outside vendors:
I also saw some alpaca (oh so cute!).

And the cutest little angora bunny that looked like a Fraggle Rock:

The lady even let me hold FR (Fraggle Rock). She was so soft and cuddly! Don't tell my bun, or the SO, I briefly thought about getting another bunny!




After walking through the 3 "buildings" of vendors two times, I felt a little more relaxed. I'm telling you, I was really overwhelmed by all of the stuff I saw! If I were a spinner (hopefully I never pick up that craft as I have enough stuff to keep me busy), I would have loved the Greencastle Fiber Event. There was so much roving! Luckily, I don't spin, therefore I could spend all of my time drooling over all of the yarn. After much debate, and walking back and forth from booth to booth (yeah, the SO loved all of this) I decided on a couple of nice skeins.

First I found this bit of lovely. It is a skein from Maple Creek Farm, an indy spinner and dyer from Telford, PA. I picked up a bamboo, wool, silk blend, hand dyed in a colorway named Iron Kettle. Pretty!

And my ultimate purchase. I fell in LOVE with this yarn. I saw it and knew it would belong to me! It is from Frontier Fiber Mill, located in Atwood, Indiana. They are a smallish alpaca farm run by a husband and wife team. They do all of the processing, spinning and dying. This yarn is a 60% alpaca and 40% merino blend, in a natural colorway (I bought a dark blend and a light blend). The yarn is so freakin' soft! I saw it and knew my mum would love, love, love a scarf made from it. So I bought one for her and one for the stash! Overall, it was a fun mid-morning/afternoon spent. An expensive afternoon, but fun :)


Comments

Mary Ann said…
Dude! Fiber biddy right here...