Nice and Easy Socks

A while back... quite a while ago actually, I blogged about a solo, sad, single sock.  At that time I had recently finished the Cookie A socks and I was just starting a new graduate program so I needed easy, and simple.  So I went to a big box store (yes me, who always reminds you about 3/50 Project) and I purchased Red Heart, Heart & Sole.  Then I immediately CO and knit a sock -- a simple toe-up with an anatomically correct toe and a nice gusset and slip-stitch heel.  Simple ribbing on the top of the foot and up the leg to give it a snug fit and we have a nice, simple, cheap sock.  However... after the first one (Which I finished in just a couple days of occasional mindless knitting) I noticed my hands hurt.  Bad.  And the yarn didn't feel nice.  WTF?  But really for less than $4 a ball I really couldn't complain.

A couple months passed and I wondered if the pain was from the yarn and needle combo.  This yarn is 70% Superwash wool with 30% Nylon with aloe and I used bamboo dpns.  I CO a second sock with my Knit Picks nickel plated dpns and this time felt no pain!  I still found the yarn ehhh. Although it is wicked pretty.  I love the patterning and the colors.  But for me the yarn still feels different than when I use other things like my Koigu, Lorna's Laces, Claudia's etc.  But for a cheap and simple sock fix, this did the trick.  If I decide to ever get this yarn again (not sure if I would, but I'm just saying) then I'll have to remember to use the metal dpns and not the bamboo!



Pattern: None
Yarn: Red Heart & Sole in Toasted Almond Colorway
Needles: 2.25mm dpns
Started: September 3, 2009
Finished: December 31, 2009

Comments

Sigrun said…
Pretty socks. Love the colors. Interesting what a difference needles can make. My favorite sock needles are inherited from my grandmother, some kind of ancient stainless steel. I tell myself they work so well because so much loving knitting has been done with them.
Lupie said…
They do look great!
I find there are some good yarns I can't use with wooden needles such as any donegal tweed and some Noro.